Nuestra Senora del Sagrado Rosario
County Road 75 , Truchas, New Mexico 87578
Built about 1805, Nuestra Senora del Sagrado Rosario is dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary, and contains a treasure of Santos, Bultos and other artifacts collected by generations of worshipers. Truchas is a strikingly beautiful little village (pop 1,000) that sits on the edge of a canyon high up in the Sangre de Christo Mountains at 8,400 feet. Settled in 1754, the community prospered almost immediately. It is home today to many artists, weavers and wood carvers.
The village of Truchas originally began as a Spanish land grant in 1754. The original land grant was given to twelve families from Chimayo and Pueblo Quemado (now Cordova). Its purpose was to establish an outpost community in an effort to block the Comanches from a favorite route through which they raided Santa Fe and the communities lying along the Rio Grande valley. At an elevation of just over 8,000 feet, Truchas has one of the highest elevations in the United States.
The church of Nuestra Señora del Sagrado Rosario (Our Lady of the Rosary) was completed in about 1805. Today it is still used during the warm summer months for mass and other services.